Saturday 7 February 2015

Cricket World Cup 2015 Preview

I have been wanting to start my blog since a while now, but my laziness has had the better of me.  After much procrastination, I have finally managed. There were so many topics in my mind to write my first blog on. In the end, Ive chosen to write a preview of the upcoming Cricket World Cup. 

The top eight cricketing nations will be vying again for Cricket supremacy at this year's World Cup. In my personal opinion, purely because of the form, skill and talent, South Africa and New Zealand are clear favourites to win this year. South African side is filled with superstars and match winners with the likes of AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Dale Steyn, Morkel, Faf du Plessis and others. They are an all round strong side in batting, bowling and fielding. They will be the toughest to beat in this tournament. Their closest rivals could be New Zealand. They are the most in-form side currently. Almost everyone in their playing XI is performing well with Kane Williamson leading from the front. With fast, effective and efficient pace attack in Milne, Mills, Southee, they have Brendon Mcullum, Guptill and Ross Taylor in the batting department. Not to forget they will be playing in their own backyard. I wont be surprised if SA and NZ are playing the final of this tournament, that is, if they dont run into each other before that. 

Among other teams, WestIndies dont stand much of a chance as I believe their cricket has been plagued by politics. I just dont understand or see a logical reason of excluding Bravo and Pollard from the World Cup squad. India, as always will be tough to bowl to. Their batting led by Virat Kohli still has the skill and talent to amass huge scores. The challenge will be if their bowling can defend those big scores. Srilanka will be depending on Sangakara, Mahela Jayawardene and Mathews to perform well to get them to the knock out stages. England, again an efficient side, full of good players could prove to be the dark horse of the tournament. Australia have run into very good form off late. Beating pakistan in UAE and winning the tri series at home, they have a very strong side and playing at home they can give a tough time to the leading contenders of the tournament. 

Finally, something on Pakistan. If I say, this is probably one of the weakest Pakistan teams to feature in a World Cup, not many would disagree with me. A pace bowling attack comprising of Irfan, Ehsan Adil, Raahat Ali, Wahab Riaz, not much should be expected of them. Injury to Junaid Khan and bans on  Ajmal and Hafeez have really depleted the bowling attack. Not many will agree with me, but i think, Hafeez's loss as a bowler is bigger in comparison than Ajmal's loss. Similarly, Pakistan's batting will be heavily relying on Misbah once again. Younis Khan being the senior player needs to step up, if Pakistan  has any chance of posting a good score on the board. Shahid Afridi is the lone superstar and match winner in this lineup. Being his last World Cup, much is expected from this flamboyant allrounder both with bat and ball. I wont be surprised, if Afridi and Misbah are the leading performers from Pakistan in this tournament. I dont see Pakistan crossing the Quarter Final stages but I HOPE I AM WRONG. 

I would sign off by picking the winners of this tournament. My heart will always pick Pakistan but my head says, it is either of South Africa or New Zealand. Leaving you all with the staggering graphic of Pakistan's bowling attack at this World Cup which i got from ESPNCricinfo.... IMG_20150207_015941 

Adios and Enjoy the tournament. 

2 comments:

  1. I see the writer bug in you! (Y)

    ReplyDelete